This week we hear from Tim, who recognizes he’s having trouble moving his nonprofit’s mission and priorities forward because he’s spending so much time just managing his email inbox.
While I’m sure many of us would like to, we can’t do away with email. It’s a critical communication tool, both internally and externally. In this episode of the Yoga of Nonprofit Communications, we explore ways to live with email AND move our missions and priorities forward.
In this episode of the podcast we talk about:
- Shifting your attitude toward email. Your inbox includes a lot of other people’s priorities, therefore does not make a good to-do list.
- Clearing out the clutter. Observe the yoga principle of saucha (cleanliness, purity, non-clutter) so you can focus on what’s most important to you.
- Triaging email effectively. Make a decision about each message right away, do it, be done.
- Turning off email notifications (sounds, pop-ups, etc).
- What if we didn’t start our day by checking email?!
And finally, I really do want you to write to me! One of my top priorities is to help you, and in order to do that I need you to get in touch. 🙂
Notes and Links
Working Simply, book by Carson Tate
“How to Process Email Clutter Loitering in Your Inbox” article by Carson Tate on LinkedIn